Aug 7, 2011

I'm out of the race

So just like that I will no longer be participating in Scott Person's request for cartoons as seen over on ART Evolved.

I have been approached by another palaeo-project, however they are offering to pay me for the use of my Hadrosaur model...

This offer has opened up a whole can of worms for me in regards to using my models. That alone their use for free art (thankfully I hadn't committed to the piece that alone signed off on its use in Scott's talk). Suddenly I find myself an instant convert on the free vs. paid issue.

So while I have that advantage of pre-creating my models, I have also found that I have to guard the rights of their use once they are made if I want to realistically sell their use. So from here on in I will not be lightly doing any free art. For the record this will likely only be reconstructions for descriptions.

Interesting times 2011 has been shaping up into palaeo-art wise (at least on ART Evolved). Do pop over and comment on the ART Evolved post your opinion on the free vs. paid debate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent news Craig!

Good luck! I hope to see your Hadrosaur up in lights soon!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the Scott Person thing, but it's great that you're now in a good position to really make some money in this down economy. Good luck!